Friday, August 14, 2015

Windows 10 Upgrade

I upgraded my Acer laptop last night to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The upgrade was a breeze. No hiccups. It took around 3 weeks before I was able to download or before my laptop automatically downloaded the OS. It took about 12 hours to download 2.7 gb-ish of installer in 2mbps Sky broadband - but I am a patient man. 

After downloading, you will be asked if you want to install it. As a reminder, you should have a backup of your old laptop, specially its drivers as Windows 10 might mess up your device drivers. In my laptop, the upgrade removed my speaker's driver - fortunately I backed up all the device drivers so I was able to still made it blast. The sound is more pronounced now - I can clearly hear the voice and the background more clearly in its Dolby speakers. Sorround sound is awesome although the loudness is a bit frustrating. I'm not expecting though, as the speaker has only just a few watts of power. But it's way better that my Mac Book Air speaker.

Windows 10 aced it in terms of performance. Shutdown and startup is fast even in a non-ssd laptop. It still look like Windows 7 but with a footprint of Windows 8. For Windows 7 users, it is like learning Windows 8. But for Windows 8 users - you will find it comfortable to use.

I haven't tested most of my applications though. Maybe I'll will try to run some Java and Application Server and see if it really will fly in terms of performance. 

I encourage that you try the latest Windows version - you might learn to love it.

No comments: